Monday, January 6, 2014

Chefs' Wellness Series: Heather Cunliffe


Heather Cunliffe opened Cafe Bliss in 2008 in Victoria with a simple goal: to provide pure nourishment. Her brother, Joe Cunliffe, joined the team in 2011 and together the siblings have drawn a loyal following of health-conscious individuals who come to Bliss for unique local, raw, organic food. They've gone on to open Be Love, a Blanshard Street resto with raw and cooked food.

She shares a recipe for Carrot Curry Coconut Soup from her book Blissful.

- What do you do to stay healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally?

To stay healthy physically I do yoga, swim, ride my bike to and from work, drink green juice, and eat all the amazing organic food that I serve at Cafe Bliss and Be Love. To stay healthy mentally and emotionally I sing, play my guitar, go dancing, meditate, spend time with people I love, sit on the beach, and hike in the the trees.

 - What is your greatest challenge when it comes to health and well-being?
I work too much and don't always have time to do all the wonderful things I mentioned above.

 - What made you choose this particular dish to share with readers?
I chose this recipe because it's so nourishing for this time of year with the turmeric and warming spices, and it's easy for anyone to make!

Heather Cunlifee's Carrot Curry Coconut Soup

Although this is a recipe for a raw soup, I would recommend gently heating it to the desired temperature. I appreciate the combination of fresh and vital organic ingredients with the nourishing warming quality of hot soup!

Ingredients:

3 ½ cups cups chopped carrot
4 Tbsp. miso
4 Tbsp. coconut cream
1 Tbsp. fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp. turmeric powder)
2 tsp. fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 Tbsp. lime juice
4 cups hot water

 Place all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.

Garnish with dried shredded coconut or chopped cilantro.
 
Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment